The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) was signed into Federal law in 2003 by President George W. Bush. Its rationale was to “provide for the analysis of the incidence and effects of prison rape in Federal, State, and local institutions and to provide information, resources, recommendations, and funding to protect individuals from prison rape.” (Prison Rape Elimination Act, 2003) In 2012, the U.S. Department of Justice released national PREA standards to prevent, detect and respond to sexual abuse and sexual harassment in confinement facilities. The Act requires all federal, state, and local corrections agencies to have a zero-tolerance policy regarding sexual abuse and sexual harassment in prisons, jails, police lock-ups, and community confinement facilities. Southwest Colorado Community Corrections Center, Inc/Hilltop House, has a zero-tolerance policy relative to sexual misconduct. All facilities comply with federal laws as they pertain to PREA, sexual violence and sexual misconduct.
When a report is received regarding a suspected sexual assault the Director or PREA Coordinator will immediately contact and consult with local law enforcement in determining the most expedient and effective course of action in the investigation of the crime. All investigations into criminal allegations of sexual assault will be conducted by local law enforcement with the assistance of Southwest Colorado Community Corrections Center, Inc/Hilltop House. Southwest Colorado Community Corrections Center, Inc/Hilltop House will ask law enforcement to follow the PREA standards when investigating any allegation. All information will be kept confidential to the extent allowed.
Reports can be made by community members, residents, medical personnel, or anyone with knowledge of a suspected sexual assault through the following contacts:
- Verbal or written report to any Hilltop House staff member, contractor/vendor, or Hilltop House volunteer
- Contacting local law enforcement
- U.S. Mail, note, or any other written method
- Calling the Hilltop House PREA Coordinator, Bren Berryhill at 970-247-1342 x 30 or 970-903-7116 or by email: [email protected]
- Calling or emailing the Director, Sally Frey: [email protected] – 970-247-1342 x 13
For other confidential reporting:
- 24 HOUR HOTLINE: 1- 970-247-5400 or the TIPS line: 1-877-362-8477
- Sexual Assault Services Organization (SASO): 970-259-3074
- For all clients: Send a letter to the DOC PREA Manager, DCJ Director, or Contact the local Community Corrections Board.
Download complete PREA policies/Reports here:
Hilltop House PREA Final Audit Report 2
115.288 2019-2022 PREA annual reports
115.263 (d)-1 Reporting from other facilities & 115.252 (a) 1 – PREA Investigation Policy 2023